A vision of a sustainable future for Framingham
My emphasis over the past 4 years has been to preserve and enhance the things that I think make Framingham great: Our diversity, our excellent public school system, our mix of rural, suburban, and urban environments, and our compassion for one another.
On the Council, I have fought for:
1. Increased funding for our public schools including construction of a new middle school in Framingham
2. Preservation and expansion of essential city services
3. Restraining the push for more and more apartments by resisting the urge for questionable zoning changes
4. Protecting our environment and responding to the climate crisis with a sense of urgency
5. Recognizing how important diversity is to Framingham and pushing for the creation of a diversity manager position
Sustainable development is the way forward for Framingham – to find the middle path between large-scale apartment complexes and blighted strip malls.
not just open space, active space
Please check out my letter to the editor explaining my concern for maintaining open, active space in Framingham.
celebrate the positive
We need to recognize and build on Framingham’s unique strengths. Too often, the dialogue around our community focuses on our challenges. There are so many positives to build on including successful new restaurants downtown, a beautiful new library, an excellent school system, and more!
maintain a respectful dialogue with our mayor and city officials
The City Council needs provide an assertive check on the power of the Mayor. The City Council must work as a partner with our chief executive, but also be prepared to push back whenever necessary to ensure all voices are heard.
A BALANCE IN BUDGETING
We must maintain essential support for our city departments including the schools, public works, parks and recreation, and public safety while recognizing the increasing demands placed on our town’s taxpayers.
We must preserve – and expand – community amenities including Callahan State Park. Open space is critical to our town’s strength. Cushing Park provides a terrific example of how thoughtful management and improvement of a town asset has enriched our quality of life.